Either way you look at it, it’s quite a feat. A feat I have decided to undertake. Not anytime soon but in the near future. I plan to document my journey. I wish I had done that with my half. I hope you will follow along with me! (You don’t have to do the running, just the reading. I’ll make it easy on you!)
I have decided on the Vegas Rock n Roll Marathon in November 2015. There are several reasons for this.
- I will get two medals (Desert Double Down)
- I will have plenty of time to work on my speed (gotta finish in 5 hour course limit)
- I will be 35. I want to be like I was 35 and I finished!
- I’ve heard the course is flat/fast/easy.
- It’s at night.
- It’s on the strip.
I decided this yesterday. And last night I started looking at a few things. Things I want to research include:
- Training Plans for hitting 5 hours or less (I’d prefer 4:30 or so)
- Nutrition during training
- Nutrition in days before
- Nutrition day of
- Recovery/Sleep (warm-up, cool downs)
- Reverse taper (for after)
- How to find all the time
- Cross training (yoga, weights, ??)
When I first started my half training I wasn’t eating enough and skipped a few runs. I think this impacted my training and I’d like to avoid that in future. I want to eat enough but not gain weight. I’d prefer to maintain. I think fueling is just as important as the running.
I know I can run faster but my breathing is what is holding me back. Stupid asthma/allergies. I want to look at and try different techniques to become better at breathing while running faster.
I am interested in the reverse taper idea because I always struggle to get back into running after. And I hate walking if I am not walking to somewhere. (I can run for 13.1 miles for no reason but I can’t walk around the block without getting bored. Weird, I know.)
I am always interested to hear about others experience. Please share your marathon tips!
And buckle up, this will be a bumpy ride!