I have taken my training to the outdoors recently. I want to run 5ks and eventually half marathons (I don’t think I could ever run a full marathon) and to do so, I need to get used to running outdoors again.
It’s October and I am already worried about what I am going to do come summer. I am at a loss. In Phoenix you have to either go early in the morning or way late at night. You are luck if it gets in the 90s overnight during the summer. I get overheated easily when working out so this is a huge concern for me. I get up at 5 to get to work on time. I don’t want to get up any earlier (plus if I get ready for a run, the dogs will go nuts, wanting to go with me, thus waking the boyfriend). Good thing I have until maybe April/May to figure this out!
While running outside I have discovered a few items that would make my running easier. I am open to suggestions on these items and will be doing research on which items might be the best for me before I buy any of them.
- Water bottle – I currently run holding a 16 oz bottle. It gets uncomfortable. It’s not meant to be a running water bottle. Even though I go short distance, I need water. My throat becomes terrible dry. I am trying to work at weaning myself down/off but I don’t think I will ever be able to run completely water free.
- I need something to hold my cell phone or a nike+ watch. I currently use the nike+ app on my phone to track my runs. I’d like to continue using this. I am thinking a belt for the phone would be the least pricey option. I already have an arm band for my ipod so I don’t want an arm band on the other side for the phone. I’d look like a total dweeb. 😉
- Sunglasses. The sun is bright. I’ve tried just a pair I have around and they slide down and aren’t super good at blocking the sun. I also tried a visor but it makes my head too hot.
- Headband. I have a goody elastic-ish one I use currently. It’s thin so some of my shorter strands get in my face. It also doesn’t stay put. Yesterday in my 37:30 run it fell out twice. I stopped once to put it back on. The other time I just wrapped it around my wrist while still moving. I am also thinking one that is meant to soak up sweat might be good.
- Foam roller. I really need this to work out my calves and hips. So tight. I stretch before and after I run but they are always TIGHT.
So if anyone has any suggestions that has worked for them, please let me know. Or if you tried something and thought it sucked, let me know that too!